Kate Sylvester has a rare and exciting opportunity for a designer to join our innovative and collaborative design team, helping drive the continued elevation and evolution of the Kate Sylvester brand.
Participating in researching, designing, and developing Kate Sylvester collections, the candidate will be highly creative with a progressive and complimentary design aesthetic and a strong brand understanding.
The candidate will be well-versed in international trends and issues relevant to our industry and have a knowledge of fashion history, using historical touchpoints and contemporary cultural references to inform their design approach.
About Kate Sylvester
Over the past 30 years, Kate Sylvester has become one of New Zealand’s most iconic and influential designers and an important part of the framework of the New Zealand fashion industry. Kate creates intelligent, timeless clothing that celebrates colour, honouring her craft and the makers and community who bring these garments to life. Created to be loved and lived in, Kate Sylvester garments are imbued with a thoughtful simplicity, with unexpected, elevated details and dynamic use of colour. Kate Sylvester takes a kind, considered approach to all aspects of business practice recognising her responsibility to the people, the environment, and the community she lives in. The brand has six retail stores throughout New Zealand and a strong wholesale presence in Australia.
- Research, design and develop Kate Sylvester collections from concept to sample collection, including fabric and print development
- Confidently propose new ideas, concepts and directions for products
- Work collaboratively to ensure collections cover all wardrobe aspects.
- Ensure collections meet pricing requirements
- Review weekly sell-through reports to inform design decision-making
- Ensure that garments are on brand, fit for purpose and of highest possible quality to ensure they will serve our customers well
- We are flexible regarding level of experience, the successful candidate may be relatively junior but show great potential, or bring us a wealth of experience. Our focus is on finding the person who best compliments and enhances our team and tailoring the role to suit their experience levels.
- Relevant degree-level or equivalent qualifications in fashion design
- Proficient in Photoshop and Illustrator
- Passionate about the Kate Sylvester brand with a complimentary design aesthetic
- Innovative and progressive design approach
- Great presentation skills
- Strong technical understanding of garment construction, materials and fabrication
- Strategically minded with an awareness of commercial imperatives
- Possessing a creative and collaborative approach to project work whilst still able to work autonomously on multiple projects at any one time
- Results-oriented and detail oriented
To apply, please send through your design portfolio through to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must include a cover letter outlining what your current experience and design aesthetic will bring to the Kate Sylvester brand.